Westford Academy has named Haverhill High School graduate Adam Gagne as its new head football coach. Gagne was the Salem (N.H.) football coach last fall but has close ties with Westford Academy's athletic program as the offensive coordinator three years prior under head coach Rich McKenna.
"We are thrilled to have such a high quality coach, teacher and person right here at Westford Academy. Adam is an excellent teacher of the game and is on the cutting edge of football in terms of his knowledge and techniques," said Athletic Director Dan Twomey in a release.
After graduating from Haverhill, Gagne went to Bentley where he was a three-year starter for the Falcons. He also spent five years as an assistant coach at Merrimack College. Gagne is the freshman basketball coach and is in his fourth year as a business teacher at Westford Academy.
"I am honored to become the head football coach at Westford Academy," said Gagne. "While I thoroughly enjoyed my time coaching at Salem, the opportunity to teach and coach at Westford Academy was something I had to take advantage of. I am very greatful for this great opportunity and I'm excited to get started."
Gagne is the 11th head football coach in the 67-year history of the program.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.