1. Medfield Clinches Tri-Valley League Title -- The Warriors kept their hopes of becoming TVL champions alive last week on Feb. 6 when they defeated rival Medway. Seven days later, Medfield defeated Dover-Sherborn, 5-0, at its home rink to dash Medway’s chances at the Tri-Valley League title and took it for itself. The Warriors have lost just one game on the season, winning the other 17 they’ve played with 102 goals scored compared to just 18 goals against. It’s safe to say Medfield is one of the best boys hockey teams in Division 3.
2. Reading and Archbishop Williams Clinch League Titles -- Medfield wasn’t the only team to wrap up its league Wednesday night, with the Bishops and Rockets winning the Catholic Central Conference and Middlesex League respectively. It’s that time of year where championships are being won and both these teams are deserving of theirs. Archies is 11-2-4 record heading into the Cape Cod Classic tournament while the Rockets are 14-1-5 with two games left on their schedule. Both these teams are locks for the Super 8 tournament.
3. Tewksbury Serious Contender for Division 2 Title -- The Redmen are 13-2-1 on the season and are not far removed from their last Division 2 title. There’s little reason to believe Tewksbury couldn’t take home the title again this year when you consider the team has lost just one game since falling to Chelmsford 7-1 in the season-opener. A great game that will test the Redmen will be the last game of the season when they go on the road to play Wilmington. That’s going to be a tightly contested final game between two of the top Division 2 teams in Massachusetts.
4. Huge Middlesex Tilt This Saturday -- Wilmington was named to the Super 8 watchlist even as a Division 2 team and can vastly help its chances of making the tournament this Saturday against Reading. The Wildcats have yet to play the Globe’s No. 4 team and will need to be on their game at Ristuccia Memorial Arena. The Rockets just won the league title and are only one game removed from hanging 10 goals on Belmont on Feb. 6.
5. Cape Cod Classic Tournament one to Watch -- The Cape Cod Classic tournament has a field featuring quite a few Super 8 probables and hopefuls. The tournament starts Saturday, with the likes of Archbishop Williams, Duxbury and BC High all playing that day. The Cape tournament has serious Super 8 implications and is a must-see event for any boys hockey fans in the area this weekend.
Alex Hall covers boys' hockey. He can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @AlexKHall.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.