Here's a roundup of what you need to know in boys' hockey this week:
1. Super 8 announcement Saturday – The MIAA will announce the field for the 2013 Super 8 tournament this year at its headquarters in Franklin on Feb. 23. The committee will meet to discuss and debate each of the teams likely to make the tournament and announce the play-in teams as well. It might not have shorthanded goals or zambonis, but it will be just as exciting as a meeting between Springfield Cathedral and St. John’s Prep. The meeting is open to the public.
2. Malden Catholic roaring back into Super 8 conversation – One of the names surely going to be discussed at the Saturday committee announcements is the resurgent Malden Catholic. The Lancers knocked off Mount St. Charles (R.I.) two games after defeating Central Catholic and Franklin respectively. MC also took down Catholic Memorial Jan. 26, 4-3, at Walter Brown Arena. Chances are the Lancers have played their way into the Super 8.
3. Catholic Memorial solidifying Super 8 chances – The Knights have also been on a comeback tour as of late, starting when they defeated Braintree 5-2 on the road Feb. 16. Since then, head coach Bill Hanson’s team has beat Central Catholic and Fairfield College Prep (Conn.) to put together a three-game winning streak. CM has probably saved its bacon from missing the Super 8 this season with this run and knocked the Braintree Wamps out in the process.
4. Austin Prep and Falmouth to face off in Cape Cod Classic final – In a tournament filled with Globe top 20 teams like BC High, Archbishop Williams and Hingham, Austin Prep and Falmouth are the two remaining squads left. Austin Prep is the No. 5 team in the Globe Top 20. Falmouth, although not in the Top 20, deserves to be. The Falmouth Clippers certainly qualified after heading into a high-profile tournament as an underdog and deserve credit for making it to the final. The Clippers will get their shot to knock off Austin Prep.
5. Division 2 Super 8 hopefuls falter down the stretch – It’s always a long shot for Division 2 teams to qualify for the Super 8 and it's likely none will be named in 2013. Beverly suffered its first loss of the season on the road against Peabody on Feb. 18 and Wilmington fell to Reading at home on Feb. 16. Arguably the two best chances for Division 2 to see representation in the Super 8 likely had to finish the season winning out and both failed to do so. But rest assured, you haven't heard the last of these schools.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.