There are some big changes in the No. 7 through 11 spots this week thanks to losses by Malden Catholic, Winchester and Arlington Catholic. That led to the big jump for the likes of Archbishop Williams and Braintree, who kept to business as usual, each finishing the week 2-0. The Wamps havenít lost since Jan. 5 and Archies hasnít lost since Dec. 28. Thatís what we call momentum, folks.
MC took one of the biggest hits this week and maybe itís a few weeks too late in doing so. The Lancers dropped below .500 this week with a 4-2 loss against Xaverian and now sit last in the Catholic Conference. Winchester also had to take a hit after losing to Division 2 Wilmington Jan. 26 and then falling 5-0 to the Reading Rockets the next time out. Those losses ensured a drop out of the top-10 and opened the door for the likes of Braintree, Archies and Wilmington to take some leaps up the board.
Unfortunately for Beverly and Barnstable, this lead to a drop in both team's rankings. The Wildcats have emerged as one of the best Division 2 teams around and itís hard to keep the fellow Division 2 Panthers and Red Raiders in the top-15 with the Super 8 selections creeping near.
Alex Hall covers boys' hockey for the the Boston Globe. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @AlexKHall
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.