The Hingham Harbormen jumped on Super 8 play-in opponent Central Catholic early in Monday night's game but were unable to shut the door on the Raiders. Despite a 3-0 lead in the middle of the second period, the Harbormen fell to Central Catholic 4-3 in overtime at the Stoneham Arena.
The Raiders' comeback started with just two minutes left in the second period when senior defenseman Nick Gorski scored on a 4-on-4 opportunity. Central came out in the third period flying around the rink and were able to net two goals and bring the game into overtime.
Adding to the drama, the sudden death overtime period was scoreless until the 13-minute mark, with junior forward Corey Webber scoring the game-winning goal with 2:06 left on the clock.
The Raiders are now the No. 8 seed in the Super 8 and will take on St. John's Prep in a best of three series. Hingham will drop down into the Division 1 tournament where it will be seeded in the South.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.