Today, fans get to choose which girls' hockey team they would like to see enter this week's Top 20. The team with the most votes will get added to the rankings based on this week's performance.
Here are your contenders:
The Spy Ponders squad is a team with grit, facing top programs in Division 1 -- Woburn, Lexington, Reading and Arlington Catholic. It has been a big challenge as the girls faced a four-game skid to start off January, BUT, the squad has scored a total seven goals in these matchups. To better understand, the Spy Ponders (8-5) have skated past Megan Messuri, who currently ranks second in the state with a 0.93 goals against average and Courtney Davis, who also falls in the state's top 10 goalies. The team is 2-1 this week, shutting out Wilmington, 2-0, and Belmont, 4-0. Despite falling to Arlington Catholic, 4-2, the Spy Ponders were the first team to tie the defending Division 1 state champ, 1-1, on Jan. 12. Saturday, the Spy Ponders travel to Woburn for a 6 p.m. start.
The Blue Knights ended January on a good note, going 6-2-1. The squad has two girls ranking in the top five forwards in the state -- Maggie Layo (nine goals, 31 assists) and Claire Gauthier (17 goals, 21 assists). The team is on a four-game win streak and one of those games included a decisive 4-1 win over Cape rival Barnstable, avenging a 5-3 loss earlier this season. The girls played one game this week and came out on top over Dennis-Yarmouth 5-1. The Blue Knights (9-4-1) have a lot to prove this weekend at their home rink with a tough lineup -- vs. Hingham Saturday at 6:40 p.m. and vs. Falmouth Sunday at 2 p.m.
Wolverines junior Ela Hazar had a clutch shot in Thursday's 1-1 tie with No. 14 Fontbonne to lead the team with 13 goals. The squad also came out victorious over King Philip, 6-3, this week. The Wolverines are 8-4-2 overall and 8-1-1 in the SEMGHL West. Junior goalie Siobhan Burke posts a 0.901 save percentage and has delivered three shutouts this season. The Wolverines have a chance to avenge a 4-0 loss to Canton with a matchup scheduled Saturday, 8 p.m. at the Metropolis Rink.
The Mustangs (9-2-2) fall in second place in the Bay State Herget and have a highly anticipated league matchup Saturday against seventh-ranked Wellesley at 6:45 p.m. at the Babson Skating Rink. Wellesley, who owns a one-point lead in the race for the Herget title, outscored the Mustangs 8-2 on Jan. 5. After the loss, the Mustangs went unbeaten for the rest of January going 6-0-2. The Mustangs tied Dedham this week 8-8, qualifying the squad for the postseason.
The poll closes Sunday at noon.
Make sure to "like" us on Facebook for more updates on local athletes.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waiting for Twitter...