Malden Catholic was the last team to qualify for the Super 8 play-in field but did its best to look like the No. 1 seed in the tournament Monday night. The Lancers defeated Archbishop Williams 9-1 at Stoneham Arena.
The Lancers tallied five goals in just the first period of play.
Unlike their opponent, the Bishops were unable to get anything going offensively. They finished the game with just nine shots on goal compared to 43 by Malden Catholic.
MC scored four more goals over the second and third periods, with Archies' lone goal coming with two minutes left in the contest. Junior Mike Jessman scored for the Bishops but it was far too late for his team.
The Lancers move on as the No. 7 seed in the Super 8 field and will take on Springfield Cathedral at Tsongas Arena in Lowell Sunday. Archbishop Williams drops into the Division 1 tournament to be seeded in the South.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...