LOWELL -- Austin Prep senior captain Nolan Vesey scored twice off rebound chances, including the game-winner with 2:11 left in the third period, as the Cougars knocked off St. Johnís Prep, 2-1, to advance to the Super 8 final 6 p.m. Sunday at TD Garden.
Austin Prep will play Malden Catholic, the two-time defending champion, for the Division 1A title.
Vesey opened the scoring in the second period when a Eric MacAdams shot bounced off the pads of St. Johnís Prep goalie Billy Price and landed right on Vesseyís tape for the put-away. Tyler Bird tied it for the Eagles midway through the third, but Vesey scored his second on a power play opportunity minutes later to seal it for the Cougars.
Austin Prep, in its fifth Super 8 tournament appearance, has never won the title.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.