Mansfield accomplished all four of its goals this season: get to the tournament, win the Hockomock Kelley-Rex league title, finish the season with the highest seed and win its tournament games. Unfortunately for the Hornets, they lost an overtime thriller to Putnam in the Division 1 state final.
The teamís efficiency and depth this season proved Mansfield, which is only graduating five seniors, to be the top team in Eastern Massachusetts and finish No. 1 in the Globe's final boys' basketball Top 20.
Brighton, Division 2 state champions, capped off an incredible season winning its first city and state championship in school history, moving up from No. 7 to No. 2 since last monthís poll.
After beating the sixth-ranked North Andover twice in the regular season and taking down top-seeded St. Johnís Prep in the state quarterfinal, Andover closed the year at No. 4.
Danvers finished ranked eighth after edging No. 19 Marthaís Vineyard at the TD Garden en route to its second consecutive Division 3 state title.
Milton, which lost to No.13 Scituate in the Division 2 South sectional final, came in at No. 18 after winning four tournament games.
The Division 4 state champs, Bishop Connolly, closed it out at No. 20.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.