STONEHAM -- Despite arguably the best performance by a goalie in the first round of the Super 8 tournament, Central Catholic fell, 3-1, to St. John's Prep Friday night at Stoneham Arena.
With the win, St. John's Prep forces a decisive third game in the best-of-three series.
Central Catholic goalie Colin Soucy had 37 saves on the night but all it took was three mistakes to send St. John's Prep home with the win. After a short-handed goal by Central Catholic's Lloyd Hayes eight minutes into the second period, St. John's Prep forward Justin Longo caught the Raiders off guard when he beat Soucy on the very next possession to tie the game at a goal apiece.
St. John's Prep senior Nic Gianelli scored the second goal for his team before teammate Jack McCarthy added an empty netter with little more than a minute left in the third period.
St. John's Prep and Central Catholic will return to Stoneham Arena Sunday for Game 3.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.