Still undefeated, Westwood holds strong at No. 1 in this week's Globe girls' lacrosse Top 20. The Wolverines are strong on both sides of the ball, averaging almost 18 goals per game and allowing less than four. No. 2 Notre Dame (Hingham) took one loss against a strong St. Anthony's team on the road in New Hampshire, but have come out on top against tough in-state competition, including four Top 20 teams. The Cougars will travel to Westwood on Tuesday for a chance to claim the No. 1 spot in our Eastern Mass. rankings.
At 12-0, Westford Academy remains at No. 3 but hasn't yet had a chance to truly prove themselves against the some of the regions best. But the Grey Ghosts are definitely the top team North of Boston right now. Foxborough (9-0), North Andover (9-1) and Needham (8-1) come in at Nos. 4, 5 and 6, respectively. With loads of talent all over the field and no head-to-head matchups thus far, it is hard to tell which of these teams has the edge.
As for Nos. 7 through 9, Medfield defeated Dover-Sherborn who defeated Hopkinton who defeated Medfield. All three have two losses and schedules loaded with tough opponents. Franklin, which leads the Hockomock League with a 4-0 conference record, comes in at No. 10 this week.
Winchester, Norwell, Wayland and Duxbury -- all contenders for the Division 2 state title this year -- fill out Nos. 11 though 14. While Lincoln-Sudbury and Acton-Boxborough of the stacked Dual County League follow at Nos. 15 and No. 16. The final four teams, Norwood, Dartmouth, Masconomet and Marblehead, all lead their respective conferences.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.