Defending Division 1 state champion and top-ranked Milford will face host Hopkinton Friday at 12:30 p.m. in a softball matchup that will put two impressive streaks on the line.
Milford (6-0) is riding a 31-game win streak and is led by Kentucky-bound pitcher Shannon Smith, the reigning Gatorade Player of the Year. Smith has no-hitters in her last two games.
Hopkinton is 4-0 and has a 24-game home win streak. Hopkinton is led by sophomore pitcher Alissa Karjel, who is 3-0 this spring and 11-0 the past two years. Karjel is also hitting .643. Junior catcher Erica McBride is hitting .471.
The game is being dedicated to former Apponequet softball coach and Stoughton athletic director Peter Looney with all the proceeds going to the Looney Legacy Foundation to support melanoma research. Looney died of melanoma in 2011.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.