As reigning Division 1 state champions and under the leadership of legendary coach Leslie Frank, Westwood begins the season at No. 1 in the Globe girls' lacrosse Top 20.
Notre Dame of Hingham (3-0) locked up No. 2 thanks to a large and experienced senior class. All-American and University of Notre Dame recruit Alex Dalton, who scored 87 goals last year as a junior, leads the Cougars. Coach Meredith Frank, in her third season at the helm, appears to have the best chance at taking down the Westwood Wolverines.
Other Division 1 South powerhouses are No. 4 Needham (2-0) and No. 5 Framingham (2-0). In the north, No. 3 Westford (2-0), No. 7 Lincoln-Sudbury and No. 8 Andover consistently have some of the best talent in Division 1.
Medfield slipped in at No. 6 thanks to their Division 2 state title run last year. No. 9 Winchester (1-0) and No. 10 Duxbury (1-1) are definitely two teams to keep an eye on in Division 2 action. Both teams are reigning league champions of the Middlesex League and Patriot League, respectively.
The back half of this week’s Top 20 was based primarily on how far each team made it in last year’s sectional and state tournaments as well as strength of schedule this season. View the entire girls' lacrosse Top 20 here.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.