The BC High boys' tennis team won the Catholic Conference championship for the first time with a 5-0 win over Malden Catholic Tuesday.
Lance Hutchinson has been coaching at BC High for four years, including head coach for the last two. He attributes the success of the Eagles to “a great team with a lot of hard-working, dedicated, talented players.”
Sophomore Charles Shewalter, who is USTA nationally ranked for New England, won the first singles match, 6-1, 6-0. The second singles match was won by junior Jeremy Mendoza, 6-0, 6-0. Freshman Justin McGaffighan won the third singles match, 6-1, 6-0. The first doubles match was won by sophomore Charles Morris and freshman Bailey Ward, 6-0, 6-0. The second doubles match was won by freshman Kaye Tittmann and senior Evan Walsh, 6-1, 6-3.
Hutchinson sees a lot of potential with his young team.
“Things are looking really good for the future of BC High tennis,” he said. “I hope we can make a deep run into the playoffs as a team and individually I hope they make a deep run in the individual tournament.”
The Eagles are 8-7 overall.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.