Senior Ben Bowden of Lynn English, who signed a National Letter of Intent to play baseball at Vanderbilt University this fall, was elected the 28th Gatorade Player of the year for High School baseball in Massachusetts, becoming the first Bulldog in school history to earn the honor.
During his senior year at English, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound lefty posted a 4-2 record with a stifling 0.67 ERA on the mound for the Bulldogs (8-10). In 52 innings pitched, Bowden struck out 84 batters, scattering 29 hits and 10 walks. He even held up at the plate, owning an on-base percentage of .459 while racking up 13 RBI in support of his team.
Jason Tarasuik, head coach of rival Marblehead High, had only praise for Bowden and his skill from the hill. Marbelhead faced off with English twice this past season and lost both meetings.
“When Bowden hits his spots, he’s unhittable,” said Tarasuik. “He has a dominating fastball, he changes speeds and hits his locations. He has a great presence on the mound.”
The award, handed out each of the past 28 years, recognizes the best high school athletes in the nation. Bowden is now also a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year award to be announced in May.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.