The Boston Globe is reporting that the Boston public schools’ athletics department is being investigated for allegedly misspending funds related to the purchase of equipment and supplies.
Click here to read a summary of the story on Boston.com.
Boston Globe subscribers can read the full story at BostonGlobe.com.
“The exact nature of the investigations — which are being conducted by Boston police, the Massachusetts inspector general’s office, and the Boston Finance Commission — remains unclear,” the story states. “The investigating agencies declined to share details, and the School Department denied a Globe public records request for a copy of an audit of spending on athletics, saying it was not finished and could not be shared anyway because of ‘an ongoing law enforcement investigation.’”
The story also states that Athletics Director Kenneth Still will retire in October, although Still said his retirement has no connection to the investigation.
Editor's note: This entry was originally posted to the BPS Sports blog.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.