Some interesting tidbits on the high school girls' volleyball scene:
1. Volleyball welcomes Sandwich-- Sandwich is the newest varsity program to enter the Atlantic Coast League. The Blue Knights swept Sturgis West in their season opener and despite a battle, came up just short against Falmouth, 3-2, on Wednesday. Keep an eye on this squad's progress throughout the season.
2. Braintree keeps busy -- The Wamps battle through three matches this week and Lida McHugh has set the tone early chipping in 29 assists against Norwood and Milton. The Wamps lost six seniors to graduation but coach Kristen Orzechowski has another deep team that can take her the distance.
3. Canton's comeback -- The Bulldogs, who finished seventh in the 2012 Globe rankings, swept North Attleboro in their first match of the season. Senior Avery Devoe produced a whopping 21 kills and junior Danielle Arthur collected 15 digs.
4. Look out for Lynnfield's Hannah Shaievitz -- Despite graduating MGVCA All-State Teamer Caroline Shannon, who led a Division 3 State Final run, the Pioneers are off to a solid start with a straight-set victory over North Reading. The Globe's Division 3 Coach of the Year Michelle Perrone knows how to shape a winning team (three-time Div 3 North sectional champions) and senior middle blocker Hannah Shaievitz delievered (four kills, four digs and three blocks) will be a major component in that feat.
5. Two MA girls make the Under Armour Watch List-- The American Volleyball Coaches Association announced their 2013 Under Armour High School All-American Watch List and North Andover's setter Erin Cox and Westboro's libero Addie D'Luzansky made the cut!
Make sure to "like" us on Facebook for more updates on local athletes.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.