Central Catholic moves into the top spot in this week's girls' soccer Top 20.
The Raiders (4-0) are the most dominant offensive team in Division 1 this season, outscoring opponents by an average of 4.25 goals per game. The Raiders' defense is also impressive as they have allowed just one shot to get through to the back of the net. Behind the Raiders is Newton North, another unbeaten Division 1 North team. The Tigers are 5-0 and handily lead the Bay State Conference Carey Division. No. 3 Lincoln-Sudbury (3-0-1) currently sits atop the very talented Dual County League Large.The Warriors defense seems to be their greatest asset this season, holding off conference rivals No. 11 Acton-Boxboro and Westford Academy 2-0 and 1-0, respectively.
Beverly (4-0-1), a Division 2 powerhouse with 22 goals already this year, comes in at No. 4 and Austin Prep (5-0-1) rounds out the Top 5. At 7-0, No. 6 Dedham has the most wins in Eastern Mass. while No. 7 St. Mary's and No. 8 Bishop Feehan both have five wins so far. Canton (3-1-1) took a 2-1 win against reigning Division 1 state champion No. 9 Franklin (5-1) to lock up the ninth spot on this week's Top 20.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.