For the second straight week, the top football team in the Top 20 poll has lost, with Xaverian beating Everett, 20-8, Friday night.
With a 13-10 win over Duxbury, Bridgewater-Raynham snapped the Dragons' 43-game regular-season win streak. Last week, the Trojans knocked off St. John's Prep with a 20-14 victory, and Dan Buron's squad emerged as the top team in the state this week.
Everett fell to No. 5 and Xaverian moved to the No. 10 spot. St. John's Prep moved up to No. 4 with a 36-22 thrashing of Brockton, led by 254 rushing yards from Johnathan Thomas.
After losing to No. 17 North Attleborough last week, BC High broke back into the rankings after beating Andover, 16-10. The Eagles slipped in at No. 18, while the Golden Warriors fell to No. 19.
Weymouth, which lost to Natick, caps the poll in the No. 20 slot.
Click here for the complete poll.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.