Some interesting tidbits on the high school girls' volleyball scene:
1. Notre Dame of Hingham's Josh Shepherd nears 100th win -- Cougars coach Josh Shepherd is en route to his 100th win and what better time for the accomplishment than his birthday.
According to Cougars athletic director Donna Brickley, the seven-year coach can expect this achievement as early as Friday when the Cougars host Frontier. Shepherd entered this season with 91 wins and four consecutive Catholic Conference League titles. His squad's only loss this season was to Barnstable, 3-2.
2. Erin Cox serves North Andover a win -- In their matchup against No. 16 Lynnfield Monday, the No. 12 Scarlet Knights came back from a 11-4 deficit in the fifth set with Cox serving the next six points to prevent Lynnfield from setting up their offense (22-26,25-23, 23-25, 25-17, 16-14).
Cox has had a stellar performance this season and could very well be deserving of an All-Scholastic selection so we'll keep our eyes on her. The four-year starter totaled 95 assists in only three matches against Dracut, Methuen and Andover.
3. North Quincy stuns city rival -- With a 3-0 win over No. 15 Quincy, the Red Raiders (8-1) move into second place behind Duxbury for the Patriot League title.
No. 10 Red Raiders seniors Maya Umoren (12 kills, nine digs), Cindi Hazelton (22 assists) and Caroline Schwartz (seven digs, five kills, three blocks, one ace) pioneered the victory. The city rivals are scheduled for a rematch at Quincy on Oct. 23.
4. Barnstable clinches postseason spot -- Seniors Hannah Andres and Colleen Kenney each had 14 kills for the top-ranked Red Raiders over No. 6 Medfield Tuesday, 3-0, earning another postseason spot. Junior setter Olivia Brodt recorded 39 assists and senior libero Stephanie Martin had 21 digs (25-18, 25-21, 25-23).
5. Honorable mention:
- Merri Lessing gives Melrose ammunition -- The junior middle hitter loaded the Red Raiders offense with 18 kills Monday in the straight set victory over Central Catholic (26-24, 25-22, 25-23). The win is the Red Raiders fifth straight.
- Samantha Travis sets up Case -- The junior setter collected 24 assists to lead the visiting Cardinals over Somerset Berkley Monday 3-0.
- Izzy Shishko and Julia Smith rally for Newton South -- Shishko's 11 kills and Smith's 30 assists helped the Lions rally from a 14-11 deficit in the fifth set to defeat Westford Tuesday, 3-2, for the first time in five years.
Make sure to "like" us on Facebook for more updates on local athletes.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.