1. Boston English, fourth time's a charm -- The Bulldogs rallied in four sets to take down O'Bryant, 3-1, for the squad's fourth City League championship (25-16, 25-12, 21-25, 25-23). For more on the game, read here. The victory is a big moment for the Bulldogs after coach Hardy Mondesir's absence last year when he coached WPI.
2. North Andover claims share of MVC -- North Andover's sweep of Chelmsford (25-15, 25-13, 25-13) gives them a share of the Merrimack Valley Conference championship with Andover for the program's first championship banner in school history. Catherine Flaherty led the offense with 12 kills and Merry Eagan (four blocks) and Rachel Karpinski (16 digs, two aces) set up defense. Erin Cox pitched in 28 assists to lead the 18-1 squad.
3. Big plays:
Newton South 3, Westford 2: The Lions (9-7) clinched a tourney bid thanks to senior captain Emily Tippett (eight kills, 13 digs), senior Izzy Shishko (eight kills, 15 digs, three aces), and sophomore Molly Mackler (37 digs).
Boston Latin 3, Acton-Boxboro 0: Senior captain Emerson Boone posted 25 kills for the Wolfpack.
Masconomet 3, Saugus 0: Senior Maddie Kelly led the Chieftains (12-7) with 10 service points, 8 digs, and 7 kills.
Stoughton 3, Cardinal Spellman 1: Senior Kayla Montley had 12 kills, 7 blocks, and 14 digs for the Black Knights (9-10).
4. Games to watch:
No. 5 Melrose at No. 7 Newton North, Wed., 4 p.m.– Melrose has saved one of its toughest matchups for last with Newton North being its last test before the postseason. Melrose’s only loss this season was to No. 4 Bishop Fenwick, 3-1, on Sept. 16.
No. 1 Barnstable at No. 12 North Quincy, Wed., 5 p.m.– These two programs will be reunited for the first time this season in a 20-plus year rivalry. In their last three matchups since the 2010-2011 season, Barnstable has swept in straight sets.
Make sure to "like" us on Facebook for more updates on local athletes.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.