Some interesting tidbits on the high school girls' volleyball scene:
1. Top two threats battle it out: The two most dangerous squads in the state pair up today and the result could likely foreshadow a state tournament championship outcome. No. 2 Notre Dame Academy Hingham Cougars (12-1) host the top-ranked and undefeated Barnstable Red Raiders (15-0) at 5:30 p.m. The two last met Sept. 24 at Barnstable, where the Red Raiders won in five (28-26, 29-27, 19-25, 22-25, 15-11), the Cougars only loss this season. To no surprise, Globe All-Scholastic Julia Flynn soared in the match, leading the Cougars with 25 kills and behind her sophomore Avery Spaziani with 17 kills. Red Raiders duo Ciara Bruning and Hannah Andres combined for 41 kills and you can count on these four filling the stat book with the upcoming matchup.
For insight on the Cougars preparation, read here.
Follow Globe Correspondent Liz Torres, @etorres446, for game updates at Hingham Wednesday.
2. We want to hear what you think!
Who will come on top in this matchup?
3. Notable players:
4. Games to watch:
- No. 3 Bishop Fenwick at No. 11 Medfield, Thurs., 6:30 – What a perfect way for Bishop Fenwick to ends its season — they get a second chance to avenge a season-opening 3-0 loss to Medfield. This was the Crusaders only loss this season and after Medfield’s losses to Barnstable and Notre Dame of Hingham recently, Fenwick could have the upper hand.
- No. 5 Bourne at No. 17 Fairhaven, Fri., 6 — Bourne swept Fairhaven on Sept. 23 and remains undefeated at 15-0. Fairhaven hasn’t had the same luck with three losses.
5. Games of the week recap:
In their first matchup this season No. 13 North Andover outdid No. 18 Lynnfield 22-26, 25-23, 23-25, 25-17, 16-14 with Erin Cox's six services aces. Cox returned again this week, this time on the Lynnfield court to manage 28 assists in a 3-1 victory. Jillian Boyle served up five aces and had 28 digs. Merry Eagan chipped in five blocks.
Make sure to "like" us on Facebook for more updates on local athletes.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.