What started with a vote last October became a reality Sunday with the release of the new statewide high school football playoff system pairings.Six divisions in Eastern Massachusetts and four in Central Mass were finalized with games on Friday and Saturday, Nov. 1 and 2, with quarterfinal action. The sectional finals will be held Nov. 15-16, with the state semifinals the following weekend. Western Mass pairings will be released Sunday, Nov. 3. Everything leads to the Super Bowls at Gillette Stadium on Sat., Dec. 7.
In addition to the playoff schedule, a committee completed the schedules for non-playoff qualifiers. Those teams will continue their regular season leading up to the season-ending games on Thanksgiving.
No. 1-ranked Everett will open with a rematch, facing Greater Boston League rival Malden, a team Everett beat 35-0 on Saturday. The complete schedule can be found on the MIAA website.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.