For the second time, a No. 1 team has fallen. New Bedford traveled to No. 19 Brockton and was shutout, 2-0, bumping the Whalers down to the sixth-spot.
That means that North Andover, which has been stuck in second or third for most of the season, finally makes the jump into first. Needham, Silver Lake, Masconomet and Somerville all move up.
After losing to Silver Lake, 5-1, St. John’s Prep moves down into ninth-place. Framingham has lost its last two games (Natick and Braintree). Brockton moves up one spot.
The Boxers beat formerly top-ranked New Bedford, but lost just days later to No. 11 BC High. Either way, the Boxers clearly have some fight on their team, having beaten both Dartmouth and New Bedford – two strong teams in southeastern Massachusetts.
BC High had a great week, beating No. 19 Brockton and Hingham to move into 10th place. Because few top 10 teams lost there was little shuffling in this week’s top 20.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.