The Eastern Massachusetts Association of Interscholastic Football Officials has named East Bridgewater’s Shawn Tarpey its 2013 Robert Donovan Coach of the Year.
Tarpey, in his 17th season (10th with the Vikings), has led his team to a 6-3 record with a 2-2 mark in the South Shore (Large) League.
The award, given for “high ethical standards” in teaching football, will be presented at the EMAIFO’s banquet at the Emerald Club in Abington Nov. 21.
“I’m a little surprised,” Tarpey said. “They came out the other day and told me I was going to get a reward. I didn’t know I was nominated. It was a pleasant surprise for me and the program.”
Tarpey gave credit to his former coaches, Stoughton’s Greg Burke and Springfield College's Mike DeLong, for shaping his approach to the game. He also served as an assistant coach alongside his mentors at both schools.
“They both really love football and teach the game the right way,” Tarpey said. "There’s so much pride and passion in the game as well as in the players. They’re people first, then football players after that. All those things have added up to mold my own coaching philosophy.”
Peter Cappiello can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @petecapps
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.