Maimonides star Yoni Klausner lifted the M-Cats with 25 points against Pope John to surpass the 1,000-point mark for his career in a 60-31 victory Sunday.
Klausner became the sixth player in school history to reach the milestone. The fifth spot is held by his older brother, Avi, who is also the M-Cats' assistant head coach.
"I guess you could say it's family tradition," said Avi, a 2008 Maimonides alum.
"I remember as a freshman someone got their 1,000th against me and since then I started counting," he said. "Yoni started doing the same thing."
The senior has 1,018 career points and is averaging 33 per game in MIAA play. Yoni had a game-high 38 points Jan. 8 in a 71-62 win over Fenway.
Starting on varsity since his sophomore year, Yoni has compiled a list of achievements, including most improved team player, team MVP, Tier III MVP at Yeshiva University tournament, first-team All-Star for a tournament in Baltimore, and national second team for Jewish Hoops America.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.