Friday night’s overtime win wasn’t just any night for Saugus High School. For senior guard, Norma Waggett, it was a season high and a career record night.
Waggett played a significant role in the Sachems 72-66 win over Amesbury, carrying the offense with 48 points and 17 rebounds.
“It’s a very positive experience for Saugus High School,” said athletic director Rob O’Leary. “A senior captain, having 48 points is probably one of the best experiences Saugus High School has had.”
Though O’Leary could not confirm if Waggett’s single-game performance was a school record, he said it is certainly within the top three. O’Leary added that Waggett had 37 points on Monday against Beverly and is within 150 points of reaching the 1,000 career point mark.
“It was awesome,” said coach Mark Schruender of Waggett’s performance. “Other girls looked for her, screened for her. It’s everybody doing their part.”
It’s been a rough start to the season for the Sachems (2-9), but a victory against Amesbury might provide the spark they are looking for.
“Going forward, it gives the girls a feeling of a lot more confidence,” he said. “The girls never give up on each other.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.