Behind a 3-1 victory over previously unbeaten BC High, Malden Catholic has leapfrogged the Eagles to take the pole position in the most recent edition of the Globe’s boys’ high school hockey Top 20.
The Lancers reclaim the top spot after losing it to BC High in early January. With the loss to Malden Catholic, the Eagles slide a spot to No. 2 at 11-1-3 overall.
Despite losses throughout the rankings, the top eight teams remain primarily the same as last week. The only switch came at Nos. 6 and No. 7, where St. Mary’s victory over No. 19 Marshfield gave it the upper hand on Arlington Catholic. The Cougars dropped both of their games this past week, to No. 3 Austin Prep and to the ever-dangerous Eagles of St. John’s Prep.
The Prep reenters the Top 20 after a one-week hiatus, checking in at No. 16 behind wins over Austin Prep and Arlington Catholic. Other teams new to the list are Melrose (13) behind a convincing 3-0 win over No. 18 Burlington, and Barnstable (20).
Check out the rankings and other high school hockey content on the Boston.com school’s page.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.