There was a hurricane, a nor'easter, and even a historic playoff vote. The fall season had its share of headline events. But if the fall is the start of a year-long marathon, then we're off to a great start. As the winter season begins, schools such as Andover, Barnstable, and Bishop Feehan have an early lead thanks to teams that brought home state championships in swimming, volleyball, and cross-country. Now it's time to hand off the baton. Coaches understand there's work to be done. They teach and encourage, prod and push, trying to turn teenagers into champions. For some, such as the Needham boys' soccer team and the Watertown field hockey team, the payoff is huge. Nothing can match the celebration enjoyed by a handful of teams and individuals this fall. Selecting 10 worthy success stories from a season filled with candidates isn't easy. Here, in no particular order, are 10 we thought stood out.
- Choose another
- Page 1
- Picture this, Rocha on historic run
- For Calabria, a goal to remember
- Hey, where's everyone else?
- But meet belonged to Andover, again
- A change for football
- Four of a kind for Watertown
- Lowell streaks to matching EMass titles
- Golf's best weather visit by Sandy
- Everett takes the back road to top
- Overnight success for Upper Cape