ZURICH (AP) — Former FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam resigned from all soccer-related positions and was banned for life by the sport’s world governing body following ‘‘repeated violations’’ of its code of ethics while head of the Asian Football Confederation.
Bin Hammam, who is an executive committee member, sent a resignation letter to both FIFA and the AFC on Saturday.
‘‘Mr. Mohamed bin Hammam ... has resigned from all his positions in football with immediate effect and will never be active in organized football again,’’ a FIFA statement read.
The 63-year-old Qatari also has been fighting a life ban imposed by FIFA following allegations that he offered bribes to voters when running against incumbent Sepp Blatter in the presidential election.
FIFA said the latest life ban is a result of the final report from the chairman of its ethics committee, Michael J. Garcia.
‘‘That report showed repeated violations of Article 19 (Conflict of Interest) of the FIFA Code of Ethics of Mohamed bin Hammam during his terms as AFC President and as member of the FIFA executive committee in the years 2008 to 2011, which justified a life-long ban from all football-related activity,’’ the statement said.
Garcia and the AFC ordered probes into how bin Hammam managed the regional body’s accounts while president. Evidence also was sought that bin Hammam bribed Caribbean voters during his election challenge to FIFA President Sepp Blatter last year.
Bin Hammam’s life ban for alleged bribery was lifted by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in July. He denied any wrongdoing, claiming the FIFA investigations are politically motivated to protect Blatter.