With the announcement Wednesday that Alex Ferguson of Manchester United will retire from coaching at season’s end, here are 10 Fergie Facts.
1. In 26 years with Manchester United, Fergie has a haul of 38 trophies, making him the most successful British manager of all-time. Big-time football achievers are always called “British” if they were born in Scotland, Ireland, or Wales!
2. “Fergie Time”: The inexplicable minutes added onto a game that allow Man U to score an equalizing or winning goal.
3. After angrily kicking a boot into David Beckham’s face in 2003: “It was a freakish incident. If I tried it a hundred or a million times, it couldn’t happen again!”
4. “Fergie’s Hair Dryer”: The blast of hot air Man U players are subjected to if their first-half performance was not up to his grandiose expectations.
5. When asked if Cristiano Ronaldo would be transferred to Real Madrid: “Absolutely no chance. I would not sell them a virus!”
6. A lifelike Fergie statue stands in place outside Old Trafford, his Theater of Dreams. It would be more convincing however, if it showed “The Boss” tapping his watch in disgust at the referee.
7. There is no truth to the rumor that the incessantly gum-snapping Fergie uses whisky-flavored chewing gum.
8. After seeing Ryan Giggs for the first time: “He was 13 and just floated over the ground like a cocker spaniel chasing a piece of silver paper in the wind.”
9. Fergie has been banned from the touchline a record 17 times in his Man U career, but he will have guided them in 1,500 matches by the end of this season.
10. Fergie’s successor has the unenviable task of following the best coach of all-time. Who will dare to take the hot seat at the world’s most popular sporting franchise? We can only speculate . . . strangely enough, José Mourinho’s managerial talks with Chelsea have ground to a halt!