BBQ shrimp and avocado salad— Katherine See, Kingfish Hall
- 2 strips bacon, cut into dice
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- 1 cup black beans, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 jumbo shrimp
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ½ red onion, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a Dutch oven, render the bacon for 5 minutes or until it is almost golden. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the beans and water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add more water during cooking, if necessary.
2. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cook the shrimp for about 3 minutes on a side or until cooked through. Add the barbecue sauce and stir well.
3.Tip the shrimp mixture into the black beans. Add the avocado, cilantro, red onion, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir gently.