Barbecue beef short ribs— Richard Rayment, Seaport
- 4 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon tahini paste
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Trim excess fat from the short ribs. Cut them crosswise ½-inch thick.
2. In a bowl, combine the scallions, soy sauce, water, sesame oil, sugar, tahini, garlic, ginger, and Sichuan peppercorns. Pour the mixture into a large plastic zipper bag. Add the ribs, seal, and refrigerate for half a day, turning occasionally.
3. Light a charcoal or gas grill. Remove ribs from marinade. Grill ribs over medium heat grill for 10 to 12 minutes, brushing with marinade, or until they are cooked through. 5 to 6 minutes. Turn ribs over and brush with reserved marinade; continue cooking 5 to 6 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.