Bad Habit | The Kooks Listen Live

1st cruise for swingers to launch

Posted by Paul Makishima, Globe Assistant Sunday Editor  September 2, 2008 10:40 AM

Think "Swingtown" meets "The Love Boat.''
YOLO Cruises, a Florida start-up, is set to launch its first cruise for swingers April 26.
The seven-day voyage, aboard a chartered Carnival Cruise ship, will depart from Tampa and head toward the Western Caribbean with port calls in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan, Honduras.
Lest you have visions of orgiastic bacchanals sprawled across the Lido Deck (what would Captain Steubing say?), there are rules to the road. Nudity will be restricted to pool, spa tub areas, and special themed parties. Similarly, Acts of Oneness (or twoness or eightness) must be remain in staterooms or designated "playrooms.'' PDAs are OK; Public Displays of the Other Kind are discouraged.
"It's not just about sex,'' says Marlene Brustle, president of YOLO, which stands for You Only Live Once. "We know that some people will just want to watch.''
Brustle says that this cruise will mark the world's first exclusively for swingers. YOLO hopes to book 2,000 passengers for the voyage and is shooting to do three to four a year.
Prices range from $949 for an inside cabin to $3,499 for a penthouse suite.
Brustle, a 23-year veteran of the travel industry, says she was approached to start the business by a major investment company, which she declined to name. She said that the firm had done market research and found that there was a niche for this kind of business.
"The whole lifestyle cruise thing is not new. There have been special cruises for groups like wine lovers,'' she explained. "Atlantis and Olivia do gay and lesbian cruises. There just hasn't been one for swingers before.''
I say alert the Guinness records people.
(Thanks to USA Today's Cruise Log Blog for pointing us to this one.)

1. Is this the cruise you booked for your honeymoon?

Posted by Lindsay September 2, 08 11:45 AM
  1. I oscillate between pity and indignation for "swingers." it's a tragedy that there are business leaders willing to trade a dollar for helping people sink deeper and deeper into sin.

"you only live once" and there's more to life than sex or a variety of sex. these are some incredibly shallow, pathetic people and unfortunately they don't know it. they spread their immorality like the flu and their children will be some of the victims. this is not normal, mature human behavior.

Posted by Victoria Pilate September 2, 08 12:34 PM
  1. Watch for the video - Fat People Gone Wild!

Posted by Bob September 2, 08 01:54 PM
  1. Ahh that's it... the moral outrage of the masses, the appalled indignation of the closeted sinner, striking out against those black hearted, immoral, pseudo-intellectual 'free-thinking' hippies who wish to corrupt our god fearing, god loving, blessed country and our children with notions of individual freedom and the right to S E L F - D E T E R M I N A T I O N.

But the video sounds like it would be a money maker...

Posted by S Ross September 2, 08 02:37 PM
  1. Victoria, are you by chance related to Pontious? You are so confident in your position, maybe you should use your great powers to direct the lifestyle choices of the masses. It is good that there are people like you out there to pass judgment on anyone who does not fulfill your ideal of what constitutes "normal, mature human" behavior. Maybe your husband left you for someone who was not frigid, or pehaps you believe that you have some sort of divine insight that eludes the rest of us. Whatever the case, you really should limit your obnoxious preaching to paying customers or your poor children, who unfortunately have no choice but to listent to you - that is until they are old enough to sign up for a YOLO cruise.

Posted by YP is a Moron September 2, 08 02:50 PM
  1. Gee Vicky, a little bitter that the hot guys wouldn't touch you?

Posted by TiffanyB September 2, 08 02:56 PM
  1. To Victoria Pilate:

This isn't normal, mature, human behaviour to a puritanical stiff such as yourself. Your morality has nothing to do with the way other people live their lives. Please keep your hateful, spiteful view to yourself. The bible tells you 'judge not yet ye be judged first'. I think you need to realize that what you are doing is a sin as well. A sin is a Sin. Please try and be a good christian.

Posted by Jesus September 2, 08 03:06 PM
  1. Immorality? Sin? Get off your high horse. If a couple wants to share each other let them.

Don't get me wrong, my wife and I would never allow each other to stray from our marriage, all hell would break loose. But if two people want to act like sluts, let them. Its only a sin if you subscribe to the theology.

Posted by Not Swinging Anytime Soon September 2, 08 03:06 PM
  1. Gosh, it kind of offends me that Brustle compares this kind of "lifestyle" cruise to an Olivia cruise, in which clothed and, dare I say it, traditional lesbian families are convening for a simple vacation free of discrimination. The two are apples and oranges, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by mbiojane9 September 2, 08 03:20 PM
  1. Victoria, consensual adult promiscuity has been around a heck of a lot longer than the Book from which you pluck your opinions. And shallow, pathetic people exist at all points on the sexual spectrum. Some of them even spend their time grandstanding tsk-tsking normal, mature humans for their personal choices -- choices which affect you not one lick (if you'll forgive the pun).

Posted by stanley September 2, 08 03:34 PM
  1. Humm, it didn't take long for someone to through religion into this story. It's a sin. So sex is for sinners; that's' just ridicules. Ask yourself, how corrupt your faith/religion is. I just can't stand people who treat sex as a bad thing. I just hope they use protection. I'm not for or against swingers so who cares what consenting adults do with each other.

Posted by Rob September 2, 08 03:36 PM
  1. Right you are, Victoria - just ask Gov. Pallin.

Posted by Carl Roves September 2, 08 03:41 PM
  1. There is nothing more repulsive to me than to see over weight people naked running around spreading STD's.

Posted by ocala September 2, 08 03:52 PM
  1. @ Victoria

It's better than your dishonest husband that is sleeping around behind your back. Statistically speaking, if you are married it has likely happened in the past and you don't even know about it.

Posted by Bill September 2, 08 03:57 PM
  1. People who comment here to bash swingers are absolutely pathetic. You are clueless, boring, and don't even understand this different mindset that you feel so strongly about.

Swingers aren't hurting anybody - not you, and certainly not their children! These are open-minded people who are willing to overcome their fears in order to have an amazing time learning about themselves and enjoying their spouse in an exciting way. Maybe they have sex with other people outside their marriage. Maybe they just talk about it. You will find the strongest relationships in this "lifestyle." You find men and women who realize that their marriage is a lot deeper than simply who they have sex with.

I also need to add a note about their children not being victims. Most normal adults are not going to expose their children to any portion of their sex lives. This goes for single moms who date, and it definitely includes married couples who also happen to fool around with other couples. Swingers who are doing it for the right reasons have great marriages and are happy, satisfied people. They are providing their children with happy parents and a strong family.

Posted by ec September 2, 08 04:06 PM
  1. Why can't they keep sex in the gutter where it belongs?

Posted by Father Ed O'Phile September 2, 08 04:38 PM
  1. They should call this Paganism Gone Wild

Posted by juan September 2, 08 04:45 PM
  1. lots of Penicillin needed after that cruise.

Posted by robert September 2, 08 04:50 PM
  1. Keep sex in the gutter? What were you Father Ed? An imaculate conception?

All you close-minded people who saw fit to bash swingers on here... what brought you to this article in the first place? Just a little curious are we? Swingers aren't hurting anyone, they are simply comfortable and secure enough in their relationship to explore alternate means of pleasure. Maybe if more people explored this lifestyle there wouldn't be so many cheating husbands out there.

Posted by kf September 2, 08 05:25 PM
  1. Funny how the religious zealots mention that a variety sex leads to sin.
    Hmmmm...let's think about the catholic church. That's why you had all those priests in Mass diddling young boys for how many years? Those are the people I want to direct and speak at my sunday mass. You must be bitter from realizing you wasted your time going to church listening to pedophiles. That has got to be a real bummer.

It's america Victoria. If you don't want to swing, then don't. Don't get on your soapbox and spill hypocritical catholic rehtoric. Catholics are the minority and so isn't your 1930's ideas.

Posted by Kev September 2, 08 06:26 PM
  1. Bashing people who swing is rediculous we dont sit here and bash you we respect everyone and dont throw our lifestyle in anyone's face. If anything we keep this part of our lives completly private and for the most part you probably know a few and dont even realize that your next door neighbor Mary who you like so much is sitting in a swingers club on the weekend having a great time. We are completly normal same respectfull couples, people and parents who do everything for our kids Just because we are comfortable in our sexuality and explore that doesnt mean we are horrible people. Dont bash something you dont know about.

P.S if you are interested in meeting more swingers check us out on a new site just started swinglounge.net and we will let you know where the parties are at..

Posted by swinging proud September 2, 08 06:38 PM
  1. The Moral Majority is Neither

Posted by Bob Onme September 2, 08 06:49 PM
  1. Victoria,

Ever ask yourself what organized religion drives people to do? How about pathetic priests and their immoral sex acts with innocent boys - talk about the spread of an immoral flu! I have no idea how swingers lifestyle will effect their children, it's pretty clear how Catholic priests behavior effected the lives of the children they abused.

Posted by Jon September 2, 08 10:26 PM
  1. Kf,

Take a look at his name: (P) ed O'Phile

. . . don't think he's too serious about his comment. . .

Posted by Jon September 2, 08 10:29 PM
  1. I really don't care. It's only consensual sex and it's none of my business. It's not my thing, but it there's a market for it and no one gets hurt, whatever. But I'm really surprised that there's a market for it. I thought swingers were a '70s fad.

Posted by Robin September 2, 08 10:33 PM
  1. I don't think I'm quite ready to participate, but it would be great if they shot some video of the cruise. In my opinion, swinging vids are top notch spank material.

Posted by Frank O September 3, 08 09:03 AM
  1. If you go on this cruise, you will catch Aids, I guarantee it. This is my oppinion, you dont like it? Tough

Posted by Xavier September 3, 08 09:59 AM
  1. First, people should be able to do whatever they want to do as long as they aren't hurting others. I'm not into it, but hey, if it's your thing - knock yourself out. Second, I hope they have some sort of ratio requirement - ie - guys can't go solo and must book rezzies as a couple or otherwise, that cruise is likely to be a gigantic sausage fest. Third, I hope they pick a sturdy ship because I'm imagining some pretty fat and out of shape people doing unspeakable things to each other. Ick.

But again, go for it.

Posted by J.P. September 3, 08 11:10 AM
  1. Xavier, it is not a gay cruise.

Posted by Josh Stanton September 3, 08 12:21 PM
  1. A prime example of why we need a constitutional amendment banning opposite-sex marriage now!

Posted by Steve September 3, 08 01:10 PM
  1. Such a lotta judgment on this blog! Fun stuff from the holier-than-thou contingent, the best laugh I've had today! What are you all doing here, anyway? It was the salacious headline that lured you in, then you're gonna pass judgment on it???

Nice one, Vicky and Xavier - I guess you told 'em!

And yes, I'm in for the video . . .

Posted by chrismixx September 3, 08 03:08 PM
  1. Wow! Victoria has the nerve to mention "sin" and the self-righteous moral relativists get all bent out of shape. And it doesn't take them long to mention the Catholic Church pedophilia scandal. I think you relativists need some new material. True, the Church acted poorly covering up the misdeeds of its "priests." The first mistake, however, was letting sexually confused homosexuals hide within the priesthood in the first place. No homosexuals, no scandal.

Posted by Bill September 3, 08 08:14 PM
  1. We had a cruise scheduled and canceled it after we learned about this one. We are booked and ready with our whip and lube in hand. I love the voyaristic part of swinging and it truly energizes our sex life even if we do nothing with anyone else. On our honeymoon we spent quite a bit of our time on the topless deck...wishing that it was all nude. Its great to be somewhere for 7 days with consenting adults who are not prudes and feel as comfortable about sex as my husband and I.
    And fyi, not all swingers are fat...and so what if they are! More power to them to have the nerve to strut their stuff! I applaud everyone who joins us on this cruise no matter if your 100 lbs or 300 lbs...see you there!

Posted by We Will Be On The Cruise September 4, 08 01:44 PM
  1. In responce to Robert who writes only that you will need a lot of penicillin after this cruise, well I doubt you realize many things. Most swingers are not indiscriminanly jumping into bed with people just because they can. There is more to the whole thing than that. I think the ones at the highest risk for disease are the ones who don't know that the person or people they are sleeping with has been with every hooker on the block. And from my experience there are few swingers that pick up the AIDS infected hookers on the corner. Why when they can get the variety they need in their lives from friends that share their safer lifestyle. It is the wives (or husbands) of these prostitute purchasing people that think that they need to close their lives so much that they don't let their spouses breath without permission that are at risk. Better in my opinion to be in a lifestyle where discriminating people, inerested in a safe way to share their sexual appetites with other like minded people. No, I am not saying there are no diseases being spread in swinging. The only way, and I mean the only way to avoid STDs is to never ever have sex...that means even with your spouse because no one knows what is happening but the person doing it. And for those of you quoting your Bibles, please tell me where the verse is that states "Thou shalt not swing". I must have missed that one. As a matter of fact the New Testement that I have read thouroughly seems to promote understanding, openess and non-judgement of others. No I do not think Jesus wants us out murdering people or selling drugs to children but I think he loves everyone....whether they swing or not. I respect your opinions, truley I do. I may not agree with them but I respect them because that is what the Jesus I know wants me to do. My Jesus knows I swing, and I know he doesn't love me or my spouse any less than he loves Victoria who is judging us. As it says, I believe in the Bible that you are all quoting, My Jesus says "Judge not lest the be judged". The only one I have to answer to is my Jesus and my God. They know what my lifestyle is and they love me just the same.

Posted by Swinging Christian September 7, 08 03:56 PM
  1. Congratulations to YOLO Cruises and shame on all of you who cast the first stone.
    I am so happy to see some of you were put in your places by more open minded people.
    Those of you who chose to put down the Lifestyle Community obviously do not know the first thing about swingers. If you did then you would know that they are the kindest and most trusting of people. They are the ones that would stop if you had a flat tire, or help you if you were choking, because they are caring people and are also your neighbors, doctors and your childrens teachers.
    Be careful who you put down, they might help you one day, or you may become one of them one day.

Posted by Erica549 September 8, 08 08:21 PM
  1. I am ready to participate.. What i read and assumed, that a swinger cruise is hot, and not only hot ofcourse but is related to excitement and great fun. Meeting people with the same intentions (enjoyment) is like putt'n a fish in the ocean, all alike and looking for the same purpose.

Posted by bbby September 9, 08 02:57 PM
  1. Thank God. It's about time there is some commercial respect given to swinging. Why does anyone respond to the morality freaks? Isn't that the reason they post in the first place, to ruffle your panties?

To those that navigated here because of a prurient interest, I just wanted to second (yes I read the whole damn page) that swinging is not only for fat people. We are quite thin and are hoping for the 21 - 35 HWP swingers cruise to shortly follow this one! We might jump on this one, anyway, just to see what's up.

Posted by adultsplay September 10, 08 12:49 AM
  1. I can't believe some of the small minded people passing judgement on here. Who in the hell do you think you are? Seriously? You know nothing about the swinging lifestyle, nothing about how we are or how we conduct ourselves when we are together, there is a great deal of respect between us, and we keep our playing private and amongst each other, we dont push it on others, and we certainly dont just hop from partner to partner,, (although,,,, hahaha.. does sound hot) it is a lifestyle for open minded, friendly, people who have a strong bond and relationship with their spouse, and also a great love for themselves. If someone is a little larger, well more power to them, I respect people who are comfortable and proud of their bodies. The body type ranges from petite, to average, to big, but no matter the size, there is always respect amongst the group. If you dont condone it, thats your opinion, but you have no right to pass judgement, until you are perfect. My bf and I are going to be on a swingers cruise or at a swingers resort in the spring of 2009.... and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Yolande September 23, 08 01:12 PM
  1. Very well put we will be on the cruise also and my husband is tall and thin and i am a BBW and proud of it

Posted by Teresa & Wrenn October 10, 08 11:05 PM
  1. To the bomb throwers and moral compasses for everyone else (apparently) This lifestyle is growing larger every year. The next time you go to a cocktail party over the holidays pick out any 10 couples and most likely at least two of thme have had some type of "alternative lifestyle experience" (sex the puritanical among us would call kinky or dirty...) It's a huge group of people that is growing and they are also largely comfortably middle class with money to spend. No surprise someone was savvy enough to seize the opportunity.

Posted by chris November 6, 08 11:19 PM
  1. awsome post thanks for the great info i obtain from your website keep up the great work

thanks a bunch

Posted by beercestelo November 10, 08 05:12 PM
  1. We are a Portuguese Couple, looking for Swingers or Liberal Cruises in Europe -Spring or Summer 2009. Tanks for any Information.

Posted by Peter & Mary November 21, 08 04:26 PM
  1. We are a middle aged couple that has been in the lifestyle for most of our 35 married years. We have met a lot of great people along the way and oh my gosh no STD's. This little note is just to say to all the other swingers who happen on this page, does it really matter to you what the neocons think of you? Seize the day.

Posted by we_like3 November 30, 08 02:12 AM
  1. WE just heard about the cruise from this article and will be booking soon! Oh, and both my wife and I TOGETHER weigh less than 275lbs.

Posted by Funwithus January 14, 09 08:48 AM
  1. It always make me laugh . Those who judge before getting all the facts. This cruise is not an all out orgy, as some may think. Sex on deck is a big no no. ssex will only be allowed in designated playrooms and in private cabins. Some have choosen this cruise just because they enjoy being naked in the sun, some because they like the sexual charge of this type of trip, others because they enjoy playing with others ( we do ). But to us swingers, we don't care why you are going as long as you have fun while there. Noone is forced into anything and no thankyou is always respected. As for stds I would say 80% of swingers practice safe sex, and everyone tends to be catious and is aware of this issue. We don't judge what you do.

Posted by Booked and excited....Forces of Nature February 22, 09 12:09 PM
  1. this will be the bomb!!! first lifestyle cruise and full of open minded sexy people who enjoy life.. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.. stop hating u haters
    ive met only the best people in the lifestyle.. u choose to be protected or not.. just get over it.. be open and lets cruise!!!!

Posted by kelz April 23, 09 03:07 PM
  1. We came, we saw and now we are resting. Thanks for a great time YOLO.

Posted by Legendary Party Animals May 4, 09 12:32 PM
  1. I just returned from this ship, it was the most amazing fun party with the nicest people I have ever met. We were leary, as we aren't swingers, but heard from friends that swing, recommending going to a swinger resort for the atmosphere.
    It was UNBELIEVABLE! I don't think we could ever go on a regular vacation again, it would just be too boring and too many complaining people. The people that worked on the cruise said to many guest that it was the best cruise they have ever worked.

AS for fat people, We are pretty attractive . I saw porn stars, celebrities, rock stars and governors on this ship. IFat and skinny. But, the most hot people I have ever seen in one place. AWESOME!~

Posted by Awesome! May 4, 09 01:24 PM
  1. Go YOLO Cuises! Congratulations on the success of your first voyage. My husband and I went on the cruise and had a blast. The people we met were the nicest, non-judgemental, safest group we have ever been around. My husband and I dont have sex with others however we are involved in the soft swap part of the lifestyle. We have really learned a lot about each other and it has deepened our relationship. To all of those out there bashing what they dont understand..... next time you go to your doctors office, go in for surgery, call the police department for help, pick up a prescription, drop your kids off at school, go to the ER or come across any of your friends you may want to take a second look at them. The cruise was full of middle to upper class people. In fact, I met a vascular surgeon, a neuro-surgeon, a police commander, an FBI agent, 2 pharmacists, 2 anastasiologists, 2 teachers, 3 RNs, 2 physicans, a chiropractor, a few attorneys and a bunch of other professionals that you depend on in your own personal life. The couples on the cruise had an average of over 10 years together. It was nice to be around such a fun group of people. I cant wait for next years cruise!

Posted by Cant wait for Next Year! May 7, 09 07:30 PM
  1. We were on this cruise, it was my wife's first cruise ever. It was both a great cruise AND a wonderful Lifestyle experience. YOLO did a great job of responding to unanticipated needs that cropped up (like having drinking water and towels in the play rooms). We would clearly do another Swinger's Cruise in the future.

There were some people who violated some of the "rules", like engaging in sexual activity on deck an nudity inside the ship or on deck while in port; hopefully these few incidents will not jeopardize future cruises.

particularly liked the "open seating" at dinner; we enjoyed meeting many new couples at dinner and getting to know them more intimately later [smile]. And Carnival ran a tight ship - embarkation and debarkation were smooth and efficient. The crew and staff were highly professional and very helpful.

Finally, for those of you who unfortunately do not have a secure and trusting relationship with your partners, we understand that swinging is not for you. Insecurity and jealousy would prevent you from enjoying the close and intimate relationships that swingers enjoy. It is unfortunate that you would choose to reveal your ignorance on this forum - generally it is wise to know what you are talking about before offering your opinion. Do a little research on swinging and swingers first.

We can't wait for the next cruise.

Posted by Bob & Nancy May 8, 09 12:31 PM
  1. I am fine with both sides, if you want to swing that is cool and most couples keep it private for the most part. If you feel that the sanctity of marriage is one that should remain as it was intended, then that is fine too. What I take issue with is those that use the "we are good people and not offending anyone" as a reason for their actions. Marriage is, for the most part, something that is unilaterally understood on a global basis. Your stipulating that this is what your marriage is like and its not hurting anyone begs the question, why get married at all then? Besides tax benefits, just what have you given up for your partner if you are still doing everything you did when you were single?

Posted by Billy August 10, 09 03:34 PM
  1. Look i've read alot of ur comments and theres nothing wrong with this cruise. i knows what wrong with d people dat dnt like this crusie they needs 2 try it u want be so cranky, bitter, hateful,u needs 2 release d stress r mind ur business u dnt hate.beside D BED is undefile. WHATEVER me and my husbahd is tryin 2 book a cabin

Posted by ann January 3, 10 01:09 AM

About globe-trotting Travel news, tips, deals and dispatches.
contributors
  • Anne Fitzgerald, Globe Travel Editor
  • Paul Makishima, Globe Assistant Sunday Editor
  • Eric Wilbur, Boston.com staff
  • Kari Bodnarchuk writes about outdoor adventures, offbeat places, and New England.
  • Patricia Borns, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs travel, maritime, and historical narratives as well as blogs and books.
  • Patricia Harris, a regular contributor to Globe Travel, is author or co-author of more than 20 books on travel, food, and popular culture.
  • Paul E. Kandarian, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs New England and Caribbean stories.
  • Chris Klein is a regular contributor to Globe Travel. His latest book is "The Die-Hard Sports Fan's Guide to Boston."
  • David Lyon, a regular contributor to Globe Travel, is author or co-author of more than 20 books on travel, food, and popular culture.
  • Hilary Nangle, author of Moon Maine, Moon Coastal Maine, and Moon Acadia National Park, writes about soft adventure, skiing, cultural travel, and food.
  • Joe Ray, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs food and travel stories from Europe.
  • Necee Regis is a regular contributor to Globe Travel.