Sheila Put The Knife Down | Junior Prom Listen Live

Southwest, JetBlue offer sales through Thursday

Posted by Paul Makishima, Globe Assistant Sunday Editor  November 11, 2008 08:40 AM

Good morning, travelers. The sale deals by both discounters won't help you with Turkey Day -- in one case the day is blacked out and the other requires a 21-day advance. But if you can travel in the windows they offer there are some pretty good fares to be had. Here's the rundown:
For the first times in months, Southwest is offering systemwide discounts, with fares as low as $49 one way. Travel must take place between Dec. 2 and Feb. 11 and require a 21-day advance purchase. Lowest fares are available Monday through Thursday, and Saturday, and must be booked through the site.
JetBlue is offering 10 percent off a number of flights, but you have to book through this page on the site and enter the promotion code: 10offNov. This deal is good for travel between now and Feb. 10, with blackout dates of Nov. 25-Dec. 2, Dec. 16-Jan. 7, Jan. 15-19, and all Sundays.
Both offers are only good through Thursday and there may be other fees and restrictions. But what else is new?

1. The blackout dates account for quite a large chunk; eliminating Sunday alone removes about 15% of the dates. The other restricted dates are another 30 - 40% of the total days.
    Still may be a good deal if you want to travel during a bleak January and are willing to let two airlines dictate your travel choices.

Posted by Mark November 12, 08 05:17 PM
  1. seriously, mark. no one is forcing you to buy anything. how about not complaining on boston.com for a change?

Posted by markisaloser November 12, 08 11:34 PM
  1. Thank you for letting us know!

Posted by Sue November 13, 08 07:23 AM
  1. I thought Mark's input was informative. Didn't sound like complaining to me.

Posted by Dave November 13, 08 08:47 AM
  1. So what's your solution Mark?

Posted by Matt November 13, 08 09:52 AM
  1. Seriouisly though, with all the black out dates, there's not much left.

Posted by Sue November 13, 08 10:43 AM
  1. i've been checking fares on the same flight (san jose -> boston around xmas) almost daily and these prices are virtually exactly the same as they have been

Posted by nick November 13, 08 11:28 AM
  1. I too find this a joke, I have been looking at Jet Blue for two months and I know that I can find lower charges for round trip.

Posted by Joe November 13, 08 12:58 PM
  1. Hey "You are a loser", that was my first post in a very long time (if ever...I don't recall posting here from recent memory); you must have me confused with another "Mark", although you appear to simply be spoiling for a fight. I guess trying to flick people in the anonymous sand box is more your style. I hope you find your keyboard and mouse to be an effective sword and shield.
    Hey "Matt", to offer a solution would mean I think there is a problem to be solved. There is no problem here, but I do have an opinion that the deal has so many restrictions that only a rare few would find value in taking advantage of it. If you read my last line again, you will see along with the sarcasm is my ending observation to that effect.
    The price is right, if you can find the product you need.

Posted by Mark November 13, 08 01:21 PM

About globe-trotting Travel news, tips, deals and dispatches.
contributors
  • Anne Fitzgerald, Globe Travel Editor
  • Paul Makishima, Globe Assistant Sunday Editor
  • Eric Wilbur, Boston.com staff
  • Kari Bodnarchuk writes about outdoor adventures, offbeat places, and New England.
  • Patricia Borns, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs travel, maritime, and historical narratives as well as blogs and books.
  • Patricia Harris, a regular contributor to Globe Travel, is author or co-author of more than 20 books on travel, food, and popular culture.
  • Paul E. Kandarian, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs New England and Caribbean stories.
  • Chris Klein is a regular contributor to Globe Travel. His latest book is "The Die-Hard Sports Fan's Guide to Boston."
  • David Lyon, a regular contributor to Globe Travel, is author or co-author of more than 20 books on travel, food, and popular culture.
  • Hilary Nangle, author of Moon Maine, Moon Coastal Maine, and Moon Acadia National Park, writes about soft adventure, skiing, cultural travel, and food.
  • Joe Ray, a frequent contributor to Globe Travel, writes and photographs food and travel stories from Europe.
  • Necee Regis is a regular contributor to Globe Travel.