Adam (sure I'll eat that Scotch bonnet-studded side of beef and that pound of curly fries) Richman is hosting a new Travel Channel show/contest called "Adam Richman's Best Sandwich in America." And it works just like you'd think. He and his producers purportedly scoured the nation to find the 30 best sandwiches "from 27 cities in ten geographical regions.'' (Do we even have 10 geographic regions?)
OK, so what do they pick from New England? Maybe an old school lobster roll from Red's in Wiscasset, Maine? Or a roll from the Clam Box in Ipswich?
Or maybe they want a fresh take: How about the tuna club at Red Rock Bistro in Swampscott (seared fresh tuna, bacon, wasabi mayo with a side of Asian slaw tossed with ginger vinaigrette) or the Carpet Burger (beef burger tricked out with American cheese, fried oysters, and remoulade ) at The Gallows in the South End?
No. Instead, this is their idea of the best of New England: something called A Tale of Two Turkeys (either oven-roasted turkey with Swiss, coleslaw, and Russian dressing or smoked bird with orange-cranberry chutney and mesclun greens) at Book Trader Cafe in New Haven, Conn., or, and this is not a joke, crab grilled cheese (lump crab meat and sharp cheddar) at Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe in Portsmouth, N.H. And finally the zesty lemon lobster roll (basically, a lobster roll with, wait for it, lemon pepper) at The Galley Restaurant & Pub in Naples, Maine.
Unbelievable. What is your favorite Boston sandwich? Need a reminder? Here's a list of the 45 best in Boston. Just in time for lunch.
And for the curious I've posted the rest of Richman's list below.
- Austin, Texas (The Noble Pig) - Seared Beef Tongue with Smoked Green Onions
- Baltimore (Faidley Seafood) - Crab Cake Sandwich
- Chapel Hill, N.C. (Time-Out Restaurant) - Chicken Cheddar Biscuit
- Chicago (The Fifty/50) - The 4-Courser Sandwich
- Chicago (Al's Italian Beef) - Al's Italian Beef
- Detroit (Slow's Bar-BQ) - The Yardbird
- Driftwood, Texas (The Salt Lick) - Sliced Beef Brisket Sandwich
- Green Bay, Wis. (Kroll's) - Prime Rib Sandwich
- Los Angeles (JR's BBQ) - Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Minneapolis (Tilia) - Fish Taco Torta
- Nashville, Tenn. (Mitchell's Delicatessen) - Asian Flank Steak Sandwich
- New Orleans (Domilise's Po-Boy and Bar) - Shrimp Po Boy
- New York (Katz's Deli) - Corned Beef & Pastrami Sandwich
- Pittsburgh (Primanti Brothers) - Cap & Egg Sandwich
- Philadelphia (DiNic's) - Roast Pork Sandwich
- Phoenix (Los Reyes de la Torta) - Torta Del Ray
- Portland, Ore. (Big Ass Sandwiches) - Big Ass Roast Beef Sandwich
- Portland, Ore. (Bunk Sandwiches) - Pork Belly Cubano
- Richmond, Va. (Blacksheep) - The CSS Virginia
- St. Louis (Crown Candy Kitchen) - Heart-Stopping BLT
- San Diego (Phil's BBQ) - El Toro
- San Francisco (Wexler's) - 'Pulled' Lamb Sandwich
- Savannah, Ga. (Zunzi's) - The Chicken Conquistador
- Seattle (Salumi) - The Oxtail Sandwich
- Tampa, Fla. (Aguila Sandwich Shop) - Media Noche
- Tampa, Fla. (Skipper's Smokehouse) - Grouper Reuben
- Washington (W Hotel) - Chicken Club Sandwich