Ether Dome at Massachusetts General Hospital
Jonathan Wiggs / Globe Staff; Caption: Meghan Colloton, Boston.com Correspondent
The Ether Dome was MGH's surgical amphitheater between 1821 and 1868. Dr. William T.G. Morton, a Boston dentist, made medical history in this location on Oct. 16, 1846, when he administered ether anesthetic to a patient before another doctor removed a tumor from the patients neck.