Old North Church
On April 18, 1775, two famous lanterns were hung from the steeple of the Old North Church by Robert Newman, the church's sexton. The lanterns ("one if by land, two if by sea") signaled that British troops were on the move toward Lexington and Concord; Paul Revere was one of the riders who spread the news that night.
The church, built in 1723, is still an active Episcopal church and is open to the public.
(Boston.com Photo / Norman Dalager)