Lighthouses of New England
Photo courtesy of the US Coast Guard
Built in 1828, Baker Island Light marked the approach to Mt. Desert Island and Frenchman's Bay at Acadia National Park. In 1966, the lighthouse was automated and became one of the nation's few solar-powered light stations. It was deactivated in 2002 because of surrounding tree growth. The tower is not open to the public, but boat tours of the lighthouse's surroundings are available.