Lighthouses of New England
Photo courtesy Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, Beth Quackenbush
The Burlington breakwater was constructed to accommodate increased commercial traffic on Lake Champlain following the opening of the Champlain Canal in 1823. The original all-wood structures here in 1857 succumbed to ice. The lights were replaced by steel light towers: the North and Middle lights in 1925 and the South light in 1950. Today, only the North and South towers remain.