- 1 in 14 of Americans consider themselves to be skiers or riders
- 14.8 million Americans participated in a snow sport in 2008
- The average snow sports participant is about 30 years old, has a college degree and household income exceeding $100,000 annually
- 1 in 5 female snowboarders are over 35 years old and plenty of girls are in the pipeline
- The snow sports demographic experienced a doubling in unemployment rate during the 2008.09 season as the economy tanked
That last statistic could prove significant for ski resorts during the 2009-10 season. While it's not surprising that the unemployment rate for skiers and riders would be on par with the rest of the country, it will be interesting to note whether this means longer mid-week lift lines with people out of work, or more enticing midweek deals to lure the cash-strapped unemployed to the slopes.
More from this blog on: News