No matter the calendar, many people consider July 4 the start of summer vacation. What better way to celebrate than with a glorious getaway. Like these?
- The Inn at Essex in Essex, Vt., has a lofty package for June 29-July 4 that includes a hot air balloon ride for two, along with accommodations, a chef-in-training dinner for two, two rounds of golf for two with a cart at Vermont National Country Club, a dinner for two at Butler's Restaurant, and daily continental breakfast for two. The cost: $590 a person. The inn has a four-diamond rating from AAA.
- You can soak up the luxury for two nights with a 1776 Package at the Lodge at Woodloch, a spa in Hawley, Pa. Included are veranda deluxe accommodations for two, three gourmet spa cuisine meals per person, all scheduled group fitness and adventure activities, and a $230 spa treatment allowance with a personal spa concierge to assist. The package costs $1,776 for two and is valid July 3-7.
Visit slh.com/lodgeatwoodloch or call 800-525-4800.
- With its revolutionary history, Lexington seems an appropriate place to spend the holiday, with the nation's first aloft hotel slated to open July 1, according to its website. Aloft is a new Starwood Hotels brand with urban-influenced design, new technologies, and playful public spaces. Rates begin at $169 a night.
Visit alofthotels.com or call 877-GO-ALOFT (462-5638).
- Las Vegas celebrates the Fourth with fireworks over the Strip, along with partying at the clubs and star-spangled shows. Vegas.com has a page devoted to what's going on over the holiday, including hotel rooms and show tickets at a variety of prices. For instance, it lists a two-night, 2-for-1 Show Package at the Flamingo, July 4-6, for $289. You get to buy tickets for a choice of shows on a 2-for-1 basis and also get a free monorail ticket.
- The Liberty Hotel in the Beacon Hill neighborhood has a nice (and pricey) holiday offer. Starting at $1,515 per night, the Independence Day Perfect View package features accommodations in a one- or two-bedroom Escape Suite with floor-to-ceiling windows and views of the Charles River, up to four seats on the Community Boating Dock for the Boston Pops performance and Charles River fireworks display, dinner for up to four at Clink, Veuve Clicquot champagne and dessert at turndown, and late checkout at 2 p.m.
Visit libertyhotel.com or call 617-224-4000 or 866-507-5245.
Hotel taxes can add significantly to the price of a trip. Most prices quoted are for double occupancy. Offers are subject to availability. Richard P. Carpenter can be reached at email@example.com.