THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Laptop fire causes BU dormitory to evacuate

Posted by Matt Rocheleau  October 13, 2013 11:41 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A Boston University dormitory evacuated briefly Sunday night after an overheated laptop sparked a small, smoky fire inside a dorm room, Boston Fire officials said.

The fire broke out at about 10:20 p.m. in a room on the fifth floor of 575 Commonwealth Ave., according to fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald. No injuries were reported.

Everyone who was evacuated was allowed to return to their rooms shortly after being evacuated, except for the students living in the room where the fire started, he said. Those students will be displaced until at least Monday.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, MacDonald said.

The seven-story building houses 456 beds, according to BU’s website.

Matt Rocheleau can be reached at mjrochele@gmail.com. Looking for more coverage of area colleges and universities? Go to our Your Campus pages.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

 

Connect with us

Repost This  Republish this story