THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Brandeis dorm fire early Tuesday sends student to hospital

Posted by Jaclyn Reiss  January 21, 2014 12:30 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A fire in a Brandeis University dorm room early Tuesday sent one student to the hospital, according to Waltham fire officials.

The fire was started around 4:15 a.m. when a lamp fell over in a student's dorm room on the first floor of Ziv 129, igniting some papers and bedding, said Waltham Fire Chief Paul Ciccone.

The dormitory was evacuated and firefighters quenched the flames within minutes, Ciccone said.

"The fire was confined to bedding, papers, and other personal effects, but it didn’t involve the structure" of the building, Ciccone said.

One student was taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation, but Ciccone said the injuries were fairly minor.

He described fires at Brandeis as "rare."

"We usually don’t have many problems there at all," he said.

--
Follow us on Twitter: @ycbrandeis, @jaclynreiss

Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at jaclyn.reiss@globe.com

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

 

Connect with us

Repost This  Republish this story