BOSTON FAIL: 25 LOCAL STORIES IN 2012 THAT MADE US CRINGE
Some anti-Muslim statements were made online in response to a 70-foot tall mural painted at Dewey Square in August.
Brazilian brothers Otávio and Gustavo Pandolfo, who collaborate under the name “Os Gêmeos” — Portuguese for “twins,” painted a brightly-colored figure in pajamas with its head wrapped in a shirt on the air intake structure as a companion to their exhibition at the Institute of Contemporary Art.
A TV station asked viewers on its Facebook page what they thought the painting of a crouching figure with a garment wrapped around its head looked like. Many replied with words such as “terrorist,” “Taliban,” or “Arab.”
Speaking during a day of Brazilian- and art-themed activities in the Dewey Square Park, Greenway Conservancy Executive Director Nancy Brennan said she supported a viewer’s right to interpret art however he or she will.
“Art is all about interaction with the viewer. Whether Michelangelo or Os Gêmeos, they’re counting on that exchange and don’t try to enforce how you’re going to interpret it,” Brennan said.
Pictured: Mason SooHoo, 3, played in Dewey Square underneath the seven story Os Gemeos mural.
Next: Never ever getting back together.
Kayana Szymczak for the Boston Globe
- Choose another
- Boston Fail 2012
- Adding-ticket-insult-to-injury fail
- Awkward-audition-tape fail
- iTaser fail
- Racist-fans fail
- Art-unappreciation fail
- Taylor-Swift fail
- No-sex-toys-at-city-hall fail
- South-Boston-gets-a-reality-show fail
- Scooter-up-an-escalator fail
- State-drug-lab fail
- Strapped-on-the-car-roof fail
- Caught-cheating-at-Harvard fail
- Culture-of-sexual-entitlement fail
- Cambridge-tries-to-kill-Uber Fail
- Nanny-state-bans fail
- Dessert-flavor fail
- Seriously-this-was-the-most-popular-book-of-2012? fail
- Pedestrians-accidents-on-the-rise fail
- Ikea-pulls-out-of-Somerville-plans fail
- Break-into-a-church fail
- Getting-a-car-stuck-under-Storrow-Drive fail
- Fired-police-chief-could-still-get-pension fail
- Little-town-a-big-spender fail
- No-mayor-for-Cambridge fail