Just across Fort Point Channel from downtown, on both Congress and Summer streets, eight warehouse buildings were built for the Boston Wharf Company between 1891 and 1905. Though all were designed by the architect M.D. Safford, each is different, and only the earliest, at 332 Congress St., bears a façade constructed of both brick and cast iron. The others are brick alone.
This wall is made of iron posts and double-hung windows with only a very narrow little brick spandrel that bears no implication of weight whatever, Lyndon wrote in 1982.