From salt marsh to innovation hub
The area started out as a salt marsh between Boston and Cambridge. It was developed into a transportation hub after the West Boston Bridge was built in 1793, which connected the two cities.
Then in the 19th century, the area turned industrial, with power plants, factories, distilleries, and soap makers, like the Lever Brothers. In 1911, the Kendall subway station opened and in 1915, MIT moved into the area.