More bridges were built to connect to Boston and the area east of Harvard Square, which were only farms and country estates, became open for development.
Cambridgeport and East Cambridge became rival villages.
In 1816, the courthouse moved east away from Harvard Square, as well as the meeting house in 1832. The neighborhood known as Old Cambridge petitioned to become a separate town, but the issue was opposed and a city government was adopted in 1846.
Pictured: Harvard Square information booth in 1932.