Milestones, landmarks, changes at Inman Sq.
A FOCUS ON AREA SQUARES
The first S&S Deli opened in 1919 and has been owned and operated by four generations of family.
The lady on the menu, Ma Edelstein bought the deli from her uncles in 1919.
She encouraged her visitors to "es and es," the Yiddish phrase for "eat and eat."
Pictured: A photo of Ma Edelstein, founder of S&S Deli, hangs behind the cash register of the restaurant.