THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Quincy Jade restaurant to appeal 15-day suspension over alleged liquor license violation

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  December 26, 2013 12:57 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Quincy Jade will appeal a 15-day license suspension to the state days after Quincy’s Board of License Commissioners changed the Chinese restaurant's hours and mandated that it temporarily close.

William Keener, attorney for Quincy Jade owner Mihn Phuoc Giang, said Giang decided to appeal the ruling, handed down by the city at a Dec. 17 hearing.

Though the hour change from a 2 a.m. closing time to an 11 p.m. closing time cannot be appealed through the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission, Keener said that both punishments would be stayed while the appeal is pending.

“They usually [schedule appeal hearings] within a month,” Keener said of the timeline in a phone interview.

City Clerk and Licensing Board Chairman Joseph Shea said his office had not yet received notice of the appeal, but wasn’t overly concerned.

“I feel confident,” Shea said. “We’ve had a progressive situation here. Of all the cases we’ve sent in a long time, [I’m] confident. What he’s trying to do is bide some time, get through the holiday and get through the new year.”

The suspension was set to begin on Dec. 30 after an alleged liquor violation occurred on Nov. 28.

According to Shea, the licensing officer discovered that the Cottage Avenue restaurant was serving people after the 1 a.m. last call, was serving underage patrons, and was allowing liquor to be consumed on the premises although the restaurant only has a license for beer and wine.

Shea has said that the restaurant has had more issues than any other bar in the city in the last 15 years. In 2010, Jade was issued a verbal warning for serving alcohol to minors, and given a written warning in 2011 for the same infraction, Shea said.

The Globe previously reported that by 2012, the restaurant received a one-day suspension for allegedly serving alcohol after hours.

In July 2013, patrons were then allegedly found drinking after hours and drinking outside. Both the food and liquor license were revoked for five days in mid-September, the Globe reported.

Keener said Giang simply has trouble running his restaurant business and handling the bar.

“For him, the alcohol is a bit of a nuisance, and at that hour it becomes more of one,” Keener said. “Everyone who works there works behind a window, and when the bar is getting ready to close … all of a sudden there will be 20 to 30 people rushing through the gates. It’s hard for him to keep up with everybody.”

Keener added that it was especially difficult the night of the latest liquor violation, which took place around Thanksgiving and is traditionally a busy time for all bars.

While the state may reverse the city’s ruling, Shea said the restaurant runs the risk of receiving a stricter punishment from the state board.

“We’ve had a progressive schedule with this guy, which is the way I was taught to do it,” Shea said. “We’re doing our very best but [he’ll be] afforded every opportunity if he appeals.”

Though Keener said a deal might be worked out between the restaurant and city attorneys prior to the hearing process, Shea said it wasn’t likely.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article